PN: Application Process
The number of students admitted to the Practical Nursing Program is determined annually by the provincial human resource needs for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs). The application and selection process is competitive.
Applications to the Program at the Centre for Nursing Studies (CNS) will be reviewed for admission when all documentation has been provided. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Application Form
- Application Processing Fee
- Personal Statement
- Official Birth Certificate
- Official High School Transcript from the Department of Education or equivalency certificate
- Official Post-Secondary Transcript(s) of all post-secondary courses/programs
- References x 2 (Referees should forward references directly to Barbara Peters, Registrar either by mail, fax, or email.
Once an applicant receives a letter of acceptance, the following documents will be required:
- CPR Health Care Provider Level (HCP) certificate completed after January 2017 and Standard First Aid completed after December 31, 2016.
- immunization documentation (see page 11)
- Criminal Record Screening Certificate/Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Check in satisfactory standing (local police force) (dated no earlier than July 15, 2017)
- Child Protection Records check (may be required)
Personal Statement Guidelines
Applicant must complete a personal statement by answering the questions outlined on the Personal Statement Form.
Please remove the two applicant reference forms from your application package and give to your referees. Referees should forward the references directly to Lorena Canning, Registrar on your behalf.
Your references should be provided by individuals that you have had a professional relationship with, such as previous or current employers and/or teachers or professors. If you have been involved in a significant capacity with a volunteer organization, a formal representative from that organization may also be an appropriate reference. It is recommended that you do not obtain references from friends, co-workers, or your health care provider.
Criminal Records Screening Certificate/Police Records Check
In compliance with Eastern Health’s Affiliation/Student Placement Agreements, prior to commencement of a placement, all students are required to obtain satisfactory certificate(s) of conduct for review and consideration. Approval of placement is contingent upon presentation of a certificate of conduct satisfactory to Eastern Health. The Criminal Records Screening Certificate cannot be issued before July 15, 2017. Additional certificates of conduct will not be required for each placement area throughout the course of the program as long as the student remains a continuous student in the program.
APPLICATION DEADLINE CLOSED
The deadline for the receipt of applications and all data required to complete the application was MARCH 1, 2017.
Barbara Peters, Registrar, Non-Degree Programs
Centre for Nursing Studies
Office 1007, Southcott Hall
100 Forest Road
St. John’s, NL AlA lE5
Telephone # (709) 777-8174
Fax # (709) 777-8176