Post-Basic RN Gerontology Program
This program is designed to enable registered nurses to acquire the necessary knowledge and practice expertise to care for older persons in all health care settings.
The Gerontology program is delivered via distance education and includes 1) three core prerequisite modules, 2) five gerontology self-learning modules and 3) a clinical component.
1) Three core prerequisite modules are described below and involve the following evaluation.
- Anatomy and Physiology (optional). A self-assessment checklist is provided to determine learning needs.
- Health Assessment 'bridging' module. A self-assessment checklist to determine learning needs.
- Health Promotion / Teaching and Learning Module. Evaluated with multiple choice exam.
2) Five gerontology self-learning modules are evaluated with multiple choice exams.
3) Clinical Component: There are two options with respect to the clinical portion of this course.
- Option 1: If a student has less than a year's clinical experience in a gerontology setting, she is expected to do a 3-4 week preceptored clinical placement.
- Option 2: If a student has one year or more clinical experience in a gerontology setting, she will be expected to complete two written clinical assignments.
- Students who have successfully completed the program are awarded a certificate from the Centre for Nursing Studies.
- This program has been approved by the Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The Centre for Nursing Studies offers Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) as a service to students who feel they may have achieved learning through previous knowledge and experience.
- Students can complete the program at their own pace within one year.
For More Information
To view and print registration materials yourself, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Centre for Nursing Studies
Continuing Nursing Studies
100 Forest Rd.
St. John's, NL
A1A 1E5 Telephone: (709) 777-8174
Toll Free: 1-888-290-6272
Fax: (709) 777-8176