LPN Re-Entry Program
Continuing Nursing Studies: LPN Re-Entry Program
The LPN Re-Entry Program is an individualized program of instruction designed to meet the needs of practical nurses in the province who have not practiced in the last five years.
Successful completion of the program allows licensed practical nurses to re-apply for active licensure.
This program is offered by distance and may be completed anywhere in the province.
This program is divided into three specific components.
1. Theoretical Component
- Comprised of 12 (if the student has completed Health Assessment and Medication Administration in their basic program) mandatory modules, and one optional module, obstetrics or pediatrics
- Independent self- learning modules which the Students can complete at home
- Students do have access to a tutor when needed
- Examinations written at the completion of each module in areas as close to the student's geographical area as possible
- Pass mark is 75%
- Students have two additional opportunities to rewrite each exam if unsuccessful
2. Clinical Nursing Skills Lab (After successful completion of the modules)
- Student must attend 2-day on-site lab component
- Lab testing follows completion of the practice session
- Student must pass the lab testing before starting preceptorship
3. Clinical Component
- Student undergoes a 156-hour preceptored clinical experience in an acute care setting
- Student works with one preceptor in accordance with his/her schedule for the 156 hours
- Tuition is $3,500. Tuition must be paid in full before admission to the program
Students must complete the program within a maximum of two years.
Students are accommodated within their own geographic region as much as possible.
After successful completion of the program, Students are awarded a certificate and the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador is notified that the learner is eligible for re-licensure.
Prior Learning Assessment
The Centre for Nursing Studies offers Prior Learning Assessment & recognition (PLAR) as a service to students who feel they may have achieved learning through previous knowledge and experience.
Entry to Practice Requirement
The Board of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador has decided that effective April 1, 2012 all LPN's providing nursing services to patients/ clients/ residents must have completed approved courses in Medication Administration and Health Assessment. Therefore, effective April 1, 2012 only those practical nurses who have successfully completed this education (Medication Administration and Health Assessment) will be eligible for licensure as a practical nurse.
For More Information
To view and print registration materials yourself, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader
Download Registration Form for the LPN Re-Entry Program
A Certificate of Conduct is required for acceptance into the Program and must be submitted with the initial application. Please contact your local police force to obtain a certificate.
For further information and registration materials contact:
Centre for Nursing Studies
Continuing Nursing Studies
100 Forest Rd.
St. John's, NL
Telephone: (709) 777-8162
Toll Free: 1-888-290-6272
Fax: (709) 777-7324